LIVE
No live matches
🌍 Other regions

DACH
British Isles
Iberia
Scandinavië
Balkan
Baltische Staten
Centraal en Oost-Europa
Mediterraan
Benelux
Other countries


ONE GAME. ONE COMMUNITY. ALL TOGETHER.
← Back to articles

World Cup

Four days of crisis end as Infantino abandons World Cup funding plan

By 4AllFootball ·
Four days of crisis end as Infantino abandons World Cup funding plan

FIFA President Gianni Infantino withdrew his controversial World Cup funding plan on Saturday, ending four days of turmoil that had sharply damaged his reputation. The decision was announced alongside a Getty Images photograph and an ImagesImage caption, capping a week of upheaval.

UEFA, the governing body of European football, issued a statement saying it had "lost confidence" in Infantino’s leadership. The federation described the declaration as one of the most ferocious statements ever aimed at the holder of the FIFA presidency, underscoring the European body’s disapproval.

The episode revived memories of the 2021 European Super League debacle. Former England defender Gary Neville labelled the Super League proposal "pure greed" and noted the plan unraveled after 72 hours of criticism.

Infantino’s private‑investment plan, which lacked a catchy title, lasted two days longer than the Super League scheme before being scrapped on Saturday. The proposal had promised additional funding for football development.

FIFA, a not‑for‑profit organisation, holds financial reserves exceeding $2 billion and expects record revenues of about $15 billion linked to the summer World Cup. The plan offered an extra $40 million to countries that signed up by 19 September, raising questions given the organisation’s existing wealth.

Infantino’s close relationship with US President Donald Trump was noted, though Trump said he had not spoken to the 56‑year‑old about the proposals.

Asian Football Confederation president Sheikh Salman bin Ibrahim al‑Khalifa, one of FIFA’s vice‑presidents, criticised the lack of transparent consultation. He urged that any future plans affecting global football be presented "in a timely, transparent and meaningful manner".

FIFA chief operating officer Kevin Lamour described the scheme as "the project of one person" and claimed the administration had been "deceived". He wrote that his duty to the organisation and its values could mean losing his job, adding, "At least I’ll sleep well tonight."

Infantino now faces the task of rebuilding bridges as support for his re‑election in March appears to wane. UEFA vice‑president Laura McAllister told BBC Radio Four that all confederations will be considering options and that the key achievement this week was defeating the proposal with unity. The episode shows how quickly a plan can Get derailed.

Discussion (0)

International discussion — reactions from football fans across all countries come together here. Use the translate button for comments in other languages.

Be the first to comment!

Comment on this article

Choose a display name — you don't have to use your real name

Your display name is shown, your email never. Privacy

← Back to articles